Wintertime – How Can I Get My Greens?
- Powerful Source of Nutrients
- Loaded w/ Enzymes (Raw Greens)
- Builds Immunity
- Cleanses (Chlorophyll binds with toxic metals to flush them away).
- Curbs Hunger (Fiber in Greens holds more water and we feel full)
And don’t forget about the ARE’s! They are the Antioxidant Response Elements on your cell’s DNA that work 24 hrs. a day to keep free radicals away (which lead to disease). They are activated by Green Vegetables. This is one of your most important defense mechanisms to prevent cancer.
Adding greens to our diet maybe a little more challenging in the Winter months (with the exception of folks in warmer climates). Here’s some ideas….
- Winter Farmer’s Markets – Yes, we now have one in New Milford that is open at the Catherine Lillis Building every 3 weeks. They sell hothouse greens!! You may have one in your area.
- Sprouts – Including wheatgrass which you can easily grow yourself. See the awesome Sprouter you can purchase at Tribes Life. It gives you fresh greens throughout the Winter.
- Put some Greens in your morning Fruit Smoothie. Usually you can’t even taste the extra greens with all those berries and fruit. Use a nut, rice or soy milk for a base if you’d like.
- Add extra Green to your Soups, just throw in some chopped escarole, kale, beet greens, etc. in.
- Pasta with Garlic, Olive Oil and Greens (Beet greens are good, they have a mild taste). Quick and Easy!
- Dandelions in the Winter! Big Y has Dandelion greens, huge and luscious.
- Broccoli Rabe – Oh, how I love it with pasta, garlic, pine nuts & loose sausage!